Sunday 3 February 2008

JRHPC Update

I've received a reply to my email to the Department of Health:

Dear Mr Emlyn-Jones,

Thank you for your email of 24 January to the Department of Health about Private Finance Initiatives (PFIs).

The Department of Health’s PFI provides a way of funding major capital investments, without immediate recourse to the public purse. Private consortia, usually involving large construction firms, are contracted to design, build, and in some cases manage new projects. Contracts typically last for 30 years, during which time the building is leased by a public authority.

The PFI section of the Department’s site gives guidance to contractors and Departmental staff on contracts, current news and updates, as well as facts, figures and further information. It can be accessed at the following link:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Procurementandproposals/Publicprivatepartnership/Privatefinanceinitiative/index.htm

I hope this information has been of help.
Yours sincerely,
Thomas McLaughlinDepartment of Health

I just wrote saying that I was doing some personal research; I never mentioned that I was planning to establish a company to bid for a PFI contract. Something told me that that wouldn't be a very good idea; I'm not sure why, but got a strong feeling that we can't completely trust these people yet. This could come from my experience in 1991 when we were sold off to Mediclean. The contract award was blatently rigged!

Well I guess we've got some serious reading to do on the link that Mr McLaughlin has provided. There may be other sources of information. Can anyone think of anyone at the JR who would have the knowlege we need and be able to trust? I can think of plenty of people with one of those qualities, but not many with both!

Please use the thread on the HPANWO Forum for your comments.

No comments: